“Every child should have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument through whole-class ensemble teaching” - National Plan for Music Education, DfE.
Nottingham Music Service fulfills this requirement by offering whole class teaching to primary schools in the city.
Under this programme, all Year 4 pupils have the opportunity to learn an instrument as a whole class in their normal class time. This model of Whole Class Ensemble (WCE) teaching has transformed the city, increasing the number of children learning to play an instrument from just 650 in 2002 to more than 8,000 in 2016!
Nottingham is also one of only 6 areas in the country to run the exciting In Harmony programme, which is a more intense form of whole class teaching that aims to transform the lives of children using the power and disciplines of community-based orchestral music-making.
What It Offers:
First Access includes Whole Class Ensemble Teaching (WCET) & the In Harmony satellite programmes (IH).
- WCET: A half day of specialist instrumental tuition weekly or fortnightly matched with school-led practice sessions
- Bronze – IH: One morning per week with two members of staff
- Silver – IH: One whole day per week with two members of staff
- Gold – IH: Two/Two-and-a-half whole days per week with two members of staff
All models include:
- At least one class set of instruments (brass/strings/woodwind) worth up to £6,000
- Opportunities for pupils to attend inspirational musical events and perform alongside more experienced musicians
- Free or subsidised city-wide performances at major professional venues and access to the Area Band network (after-school music clubs)
- Subsidised opportunities for pupils to participate in residential activities
I can testify that it [WCET] has a transformative effect on children. Their eyes are opened to the possibilities that music has for them. Most of those children would NEVER have had the opportunity to play a musical instrument and - crucially - experience success, were it not for this programme.”
Who It's For:
Primary schools in Nottingham (pupils in Year 4 – Year 6 can participate)
What's the Cost:
We understand that schools have different needs and to accommodate that, we offer a range of whole class instrumental tuition packages. From half-day tuition every other week to a more intensive programme that includes two days of teaching every week, we can adapt our programme to suit your requirements. Please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to find out more about our music provision offer.
Have any questions or want some more information? Give us a call - we're happy to talk!